Day 7: Finding Balance

Saturday, December 14th,

 Where do I begin? Last night I was not feeling my best, and was up most of the night with a bad cough. I eventually got up at 6, and went to the dining hall to talk to Scott (Lead coordinator for the program). Evidently I did not have to look as everyone I walked past told him I looked deathly ill.

Scott said he would go to San Vito, the closest town and buy medicine. I then crawled back into bed after a long journey back to Wilson House. I slept for 3 hours and woke up in a dead sweat. Feeling rejuvenated, I took a much needed shower and joined my group in the lower portion of the Botanical Station. I missed out on catching 3 of the new 6 species, but we have the perfect sample size now.

We stayed in the butterfly garden again to find anything we cpuldve potentially missed, but the weather turned sour. We returned to the lab to brainstorm and collaborate, but had to leave early as Scott wanted to show one of the local indigenous groups, the Emberá how to catch butterflies with western methods. He caught on quickly as well as Scott.

I really did not eat much other than veggies and a pork chop at lunch. Afterwards we all got tribal tattoos (temporary). A few days prior I was joking of getting Mike Tyson's facial tattoo, but was advised not to do so as I would probably not be able to return to the US. To do something just as daring. I was told to get a trampstanp. This too did not work on favor as noone was able to translate the word trampstanp into spanish. So we settled for a large mariposa on my back. It made most of the other team members laugh, as well as the indigenous groups present. 


Tomorrow is our free day, I'm joining 6 others on a hike through the rainforest to get to town. They say it will take close to 3 hours to do so. But I love the views and country here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5: Trials and Tribulations

Day 12: Exodus

Day 6: Collection and Data Entry